About to Embark...
So, I had an idea.
It's been on my bucket list for a while to watch every film that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture. And then my dad said it could be cool to blog while I do it. He said, "it'll be like 'Julie and Julia!'" And I was sold. So, I've decided that I am going to watch EVERY Best Picture winner IN ORDER, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. That is 92 films up to this date, May 22, 2020. So I'd better get cracking! Every title is listed below in order, along with whether or not I've already seen the movie, and either what I remember of the movie OR what I've heard of the movie, if anything.
[HS] - Have Seen
[HNS] - Have Not Seen
-Wings [HNS]
-The Broadway Melody [HNS] I think there's a song called Broadway Melody in Singin' in the Rain?
-All Quiet On The Western Front [HNS] I've heard the name. That's all I got.
-Cimarron [HNS]
-Grand Hotel [HNS]
-Cavalcade [HNS]
-It Happened One Night [HS] Love Clark Gable. Something about the walls of Jericho?
-Mutiny on the Bounty [HNS] Is this Humphrey Bogart?
-The Great Ziegfeld [HNS]
-The Life of Emile Zola [HNS]
-You Can't Take It With You [HNS] This is also a play that I haven't seen either.
-Gone With the Wind [HS] Again, Clark Gable. I hate the end but it's such a classic.
-Rebecca [HNS]
-How Green Was My Valley [HNS] But it's been on my list for a LONG time.
-Mrs. Miniver [HNS]
-Casablanca [HS] I can't get enough of the way Bogart says "Ilsa."
-Going My Way [HNS]
-The Lost Weekend [HNS]
-The Best Years of our Lives [HNS]
-Gentleman's Agreement [HNS] Is this Gregory Peck?
-Hamlet [HS] It's been a long time since I saw this version, all I can really remember is Olivier's accent.
-All the King's Men [HNS]
-All About Eve [HNS] Again, it's been on my list for a while, I'd this Bette Davis?
-An American in Paris [HS] One of my favorites. THAT DREAM BALLET!
-The Greatest Show On Earth [HNS]
-From Here to Eternity [HNS]
-On the Waterfront [HNS] "I coulda been a contender..." is all I've heard of that movie.
-Marty [HNS]
- Around the World in 80 Days [HNS] I'm assuming this isn't the remake?
-The Bridge on the River Kwai [HNS] I think I've heard the name, but that's it.
-Gigi [HNS]
-Ben Hur [HNS] but I've heard it's epic and LONG.
-The Apartment [HNS]
-West Side Story [HS] Another one of my favorites. Riff is so dreamy.
-Lawrence of Arabia [HNS] I think this one is long too but I'm not actually sure.
-Tom Jones [HNS]
-My Fair Lady [HS] I can't understand why they never put Marni Nixon in a movie except for a cameo in Sound of Music.
-The Sound Of Music [HS] Great movie. I love watching it in the summertime with all the windows wide open.
-A Man For All Seasons [HNS]
-In the Heat of the Night [HNS]
-Oliver! [HS] All I remember is that scary-looking dude beating that lady to death and the wrinkly old man denying a starving child's request for a second helping of cold oatmeal. Joy.
-Midnight Cowboy [HNS] I owned this movie and never watched it, so naturally I got rid of it and now of course I need it.
-Patton [HNS]
-The French Connection [HNS]
-The Godfather [HS] All I really remember is my mom saying "nobody fucks with Luca Brazzi" and then him getting swiftly murdered.
-The Sting [HNS] thought this was an Eastwood film, my mother told me that it is in fact NOT an Eastwood film.
-The Godfather, Part II [HNS] But it's pretty cool that a sequel wins best picture!
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest [HS] Well, I've seen most of it. Never wanted to see a grown man smothered to death, but here we are.
-Rocky [HNS] Sorry, haven't seen this one. I know the famous quotes but that's about it.
-Annie Hall [HNS] But it's another one that's been on my list for a LONG time. The only Woody Allen flick I've seen is Midnight in Paris.
-The Deer Hunter [HNS] But I've heard it's FUCKED UP.
-Kramer vs. Kramer [HNS] But I know for a FACT that Meryl is in this movie.
-Ordinary People [HNS]
-Chariots of Fire [HNS] I just know the famous song.
-Gandhi [HNS] Is this the Ben Kingston movie?
-Terms of Endearment [HS] THE LITTLE WAVE SHE GIVES HER MOTHER AT THE END.
-Amadeus [HNS]
-Out of Africa [HNS]
-Platoon [HNS]
-The Last Emperor [HNS]
-Rain Man [HNS]
-Driving Miss Daisy [HNS] I know the song from Jack Black singing it in The Holiday... Does that count?
-Dances With Wolves [HNS]
-Silence of the Lambs [HS] THAT SCENE where she's being watched with the night vision goggles. Holy shit.
-Unforgiven [HNS]
-Schindler's List [HNS] I'm a little nervous about this one. I know vaguely what it's about, and I know it's in black and white.
-Forrest Gump [HS] Beautiful movie. It's just so full of heart and I love Hanks's work.
-Braveheart [HNS] Nobody has spoiled a single thing about this movie. Since nobody is talking about it anymore, does that mean it's not good?
-The English Patient [HNS] I get this one confused with A Beautiful Mind and I don't know why.
-Titanic [HS] Another one I'm nervous for. It's a little too intense for my taste.
-Shakespeare in Love [HS] I don't remember having a particular feeling about this movie one way or the other but I do remember Ben Affleck showing up randomly.
-American Beauty [HS] It's been a while but I remember that the ending was CRAZY.
-Gladiator [HNS] I get this mixed up with Troy and I think Troy is the one I've seen between the two.
-A Beautiful Mind [HS] I don't really remember this one except how shocking it was to find out the twist.
-Chicago [HS] I LOVE this movie!
-Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King [HNS] I've made it this long without watching a LOTR movie, I guess it was going to catch up with me one of these days.
-Million Dollar Baby [HNS] This one makes me nervous. I know it's intense, and that's all I pretty much know about it.
-Crash[HNS]
-The Departed [HNS] All I really know is that Leo DiCaprio is in this.
-No Country for Old Men [HS] This movie was WILD and I had no idea Josh Brolin was in it.
-Slumdog Millionaire [HNS] I've heard it's intense and that there's a dance number at the end.
-The Hurt Locker [HS] What I remember: Jeremy Renner's crazy fingers, and that one of the guys in the troop drank out of a juicebox.
-The King's Speech [HS] However, I don't remember much about it.
-The Artist [HS] I remember this movie being a big deal because it was in black and white and was technically a silent film except for the SPOILER.
-Argo [HS] I remember being very underwhelmed by the end, but I think it was because I was irrationally upset that this movie beat out Lincoln for Best Picture that year.
-12 Years a Slave [HS] What a heartbreaking movie.
-Birdman [HNS] I know this has a longer title. All I've heard is something about the takes being long.
-Spotlight [HS] I am forever in awe of Mark Ruffalo and his versatility. And the list that rolls right before the credits is shocking.
-Moonlight [HS] It has been a while since I watched this movie, but I remember being in awe of Mahershala Ali, and it was visually stunning.
-The Shape of Water [HNS] All I know is that there's a sea creature.
-Green Book [HNS]
-Parasite [HNS] I know it's the first foreign language film to win Best Picture, and I'm stoked that it's on Hulu.
That's all 92 movies! Here's the deal:
-I'm not going to do any research before I watch the movie. I'm just going to take it for what it is.
-If the movie is part of a series, I'm not going to watch the rest of the series to prepare. I'm going to look at the film as a standalone feature. (Looking at you, LOTR.)
-I'm going to post as I watch, so the format of these posts will most likely change given the nature of the movies.
Those are really the only guidelines I'm giving myself for this experiment. But I wanted to give an intro before I just jumped into it. First up: Wings!
Comments
Post a Comment